top of page

What is a 19+Advanced Learning Loan?


Further education at Level 3 and above gives you the skills and knowledge that you need to develop professionally, increases your potential, and gives you the qualifications you need to progress in life and work.


It also provides evidence of your skills and knowledge to potential employers and improves your chances of getting the job that you want.


For the first time, you are entitled to an ‘Advanced Learning Loan’ to cover your course fees – if you are studying at Level 3 or 4, and you are aged at least 19 on the first day of your course.

Most learners aged 19 and over, studying at level 3 and above, will qualify for these new loans from the UK Government. It’s easy to apply, your household income is not taken into account and there is no credit check. You will not have to pay anything back until your income is over £21,000 a year.

To qualify for a 19-plus Advanced Learning Loan you must be:


  • Aged 19 or over on the first day of your course (there is no upper age limit).

  • Living in the UK on the first day of your course and have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the EEA for three years immediately before this. You may also qualify if you’re an EU national or a family member of one, a refugee, a migrant worker, the child of a Swiss national, or the child of a Turkish worker. 

  • Enrolling on an eligible course at level 3 and above which includes Access to HE and advanced or higher level qualifications approved for public funding. These include Access to HE Diplomas, and other Diplomas and Certificates.

When will be the 19 plus cancelled?


Any outstanding balance will be written off/cancelled:

  • 30 years after you become eligible to repay

  • if you become disabled and permanently unable to work

  • In addition, if you’re undertaking an Access to HE Diploma and then go on to complete an HE qualification the outstanding balance of your 24+ Advanced Learning Loan will be written off. To qualify for this write off you must have fully completed both courses. You do not need to take out a loan for the HE course. However, it must be eligible for funding by Student Finance England. The HE course does not have to relate to the Access to HE course you complete.


















bottom of page